When you’re thinking about your landscaping, lighting is not necessarily the first thing that springs to mind but it’s an important part of setting the tone of your commercial property and keeping the people entering and exiting your building safe.
Lighting can be used to great effect as part of your commercial landscaping and different lighting styles can set a totally different mood. If you’re not sure how to incorporate lighting into your landscaping here are a few suggestions.
- Consider motion sensitive lighting around your building. Motion sensitive lighting is an excellent security feature and it is more energy efficient and economical than permanent lighting. Outdoor lighting is important to deter vandals or anyone else who might lurking in the shadows.
- Illuminate signage. Lights can be used to illuminate your building’s signage after dark, making it easier to find and also acting as a 24/7 billboard for your tenants. This is especially important if the signage is visible from the road – illumination allows passing traffic to see it clearly.
- Light up walkways. This is not only an aesthetic use of lighting, illuminating walkways is important for safety. If you have people entering and exiting the building after dark, it’s hazardous for them to do so without sufficient lighting. As well as that, illuminating pathways and entranceways can make them appear more inviting and attractive after dark.
- Uplight landscaping features. If you want to create a dramatic appearance in the evenings you may want to consider uplighting certain trees or landscape features. If you have a fountain on your property, light it up at night for an appealing aesthetic effect. This is a simple technique that can really enhance the appearance of your property.
- Don’t overdo it. Make sure your outdoor lighting is muted and soft if you want to create a classy, appealing look. Florescent lighting, while cheap and effective, is overly harsh and unattractive and it will give your property something of a functional, rather than an aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Lighting is a crucial part of your overall landscaping and it’s important that you get it right if you want it to enhance your property and keep it safe. Don’t forget to fix any broken lights sooner rather than later to keep it looking its best and safeguard the people going in and out of your building after dark.